ABOUT THE PEEL
the PROGRESSIVE PRO PEEL was originally developed by our acne researcher and guru, Dr. James Fulton. he created this TCA and lactic-acid based peel system for the most congested types of acne, as well as for anti-aging and brightening purposes. it’s also a good option for those who:
- are in a hurry to clear up as soon as possible
- are sensitive to extractions and must rely solely on exfoliation to get clear
- have plateaued in clarity with the regular acne treatments and peels
- have very deep pores and the seeds are buried too far under the skin to fully extract with the regular treatments, and you typically get rebound inflamed breakouts after treatments
- are looking to lift pigmentation left from old inflamed or picked acne lesions
- are interested in smoothing fine lines and wrinkles
- would like to improve the overall texture of your skin
here are some guidelines and information to read up on, when considering this more aggressive yet highly effective peel.
BEFORE THE PEEL
- be careful to avoid sun exposure for the 2-4 weeks leading up to and the 1-2 weeks after the peel. we cannot perform this peel if you have a sunburn or sensitivity of any kind.
- the peel application can make for an intense experience, so getting mentally prepared to deal with the discomfort of the peel application will be helpful. clients oftentimes will reach an 8-10 on the peeling sensation scale.
- you will need your esthetician’s approval and a patch test before booking this peel to ensure that you are a good candidate
THE PEEL TREATMENT ITSELF
during the 30-minute treatment, we won’t cleanse your skin like we normally do with the signature acne treatments. that being said, it’s best to come in with a clean face – no makeup, but spf is fine. the peel is composed of 4 different chemical peel solutions that are applied onto the skin in layers. we will give you a large fan to keep you as cool as possible, but given the nature of the peel, a burning sensation is somewhat unavoidable. however, this is only present during the peel application, and we’ll wait for the sensation to come down in-between the application of each layer.
- level 1 of the peel degreases the skin and wipes away the dead skin cells sitting on the surface layer. clients normally feel 1 or 2 on a scale of 1-10 of heat and spiciness with this layer.
- level 2 is a slightly stronger blend of acids than in level 1, and clients might feel a 3 or 4.
- level 3 is an even stronger blend of acids than level 2, and is the most intense layer. clients often will reach an 8, 9 or 10. keep in mind, that layer 3 may be skipped depending on the skin’s reaction to the first two layers. not to worry though, great results can still be achieved even if we skip this layer – it’s important to honor the health of your skin vs being overly aggressive with chemicals, to keep your skin healthy and happy.
- level 4 is a blend of vitamin a and lactic acids. happily, this layer is not as stimulating as the rest, so it tends to cool things down. this layer leaves a yellow tint to the skin, which makes it difficult to apply makeup on top. we will however, finish off the treatment with an application of moisturizing spf.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE PEEL
- you can wear a face shield (cone ones like this work best or a hat with a shield like this) instead of a mask after the PRO PEEL appointment to prevent rubbing and friction on your way out the door. or you can bring a loose light and clean face mask to wear out and take off when you get in your car. you’ll also want to avoid situations were you have to wear a mask as much as possible in the week after your PRO PEEL.
- make sure to stock up on any post treatment products that you’ll need for healing in the week after the peel. you can pick these up at your appointment.
- given the activity of this treatment and the yellow tint left by the last layer, we recommend that you lay low for the rest of the day and go home, relax, and stay out of the sun and heat. stay hydrated, and stay cool!
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE DAYS AFTER THE PEEL
you’ll do the healing regimen (no active products) at home for the 5-7 days after the PRO PEEL. as soon as all peeling has completed, you may start back up on your active clearing regimen.
day 1: expect the skin to look shiny, with a healthy glow, and feel a bit tight. the tightness means that the skin is getting ready to peel!
days 2-5: peeling normally starts a few days after the peel, and lasts about 4 days and sometimes a little longer. the peeling will start around the mouth and inner face, moving towards the outer face and forehead in the next day or two, with the end of the peeling occurring around the hairline. sometimes the peeling is much more minimal. if this happens, don’t worry, you will still have good results and we can graduate you to the extra strength version for your next PRO PEEL.
results may vary but these photos depict the type of peeling that can occur in days 2-5.
*during the peeling days 2-5, it’s important to keep as hydrated (topically and internally) as possible to encourage the best results. you can use your hydrating gel, cream, shea butter or rosewater spray as much as you like throughout the day to support this process.
we have seen this peel improve the clarity of everyone who has done them, though it may take a few peels to see a change. clients can accelerate their treatment plan by getting PRO PEELS every 2-3 weeks for the best and fastest results.
also, keep in mind, any underlying systemic issues present that are not dealt with are beyond any topical treatment – the acne will be resistant until these are addressed, no matter how many PRO PEELS we do.
this is a service that must be booked on approval of your esthetician, so reach out to her by email for this and with any other questions you may have.