as the hot weather approaches, we all want to radiate fresh, yet delicate, aromas, right? but how can we keep our bodies smelling as fresh as a bouquet of dew-dropped roses while avoiding acne breakouts? we’ve got a few recommendations for acne-safe deodorants for you to check out, and as a bonus, all are aluminum-free!
- tarte – tarte’s light-weight clean queen product is a natural vegan deodorant stick to satisfy your edgier side. adherents swear that it dries clear and that it lasts all day. it’s great as a first-time foray into the world of aluminum-free deodorants.
- aesop – though this gender-neutral spray deodorant is a bit pricey, it lasts a long time and truly performs! it’s a personal favorite of some sS staff, and with hints of vetiver and citrus, this woodsy scent is to die for. the specific blend of essential oils prevents the formation of odor-causing bacteria.
- crystal essence – these handy roll-on deodorants are easy to toss in your gym bag for a quick mid-day refresher. a popular chemical-free deodorant, crystal essence uses natural mineral salts and essential oils to stop odor in its tracks.
- lavilin – this floral roll-on deodorant is the winner of new york magazine’s best aluminum-free deodorant competition. while it won’t necessarily keep you totally dry, this hypo-allergenic product boasts 72-hour odor-masking abilities even with physical activity and bathing in between.
- desert essence – this is a solid, natural brand at a reasonable price. they’ve created several fun scents like tropical breeze and spring fresh, but you might need to reapply at some point during the workday
- erbaviva – this brand crafts simple and unique scents from alcohol and essential oils but proponents of the natural deodorant phenomenon agree that these fresh scents last only around 5-6 hours. blends like jasmine grapefruit and lemon sage can satisfy anyone’s olfactory preferences.
- weleda – these swiss spray deodorants have great reviews in the performance department. similar to aesop, the citrus in these sprays helps keep bacteria at bay. you can find them at any whole foods or natural foods store across the us.
as always, when buying new personal care products, use our comedogenic database to double check ingredients. though many of the above brands make acne-safe deodorants, their other products might not pass the test.