LED was first discovered by NASA and stands for light emitting diode, which is a tiny computer chip encased in a glass bulb. there are different LED wavelengths resulting in different colors. each wavelength or color provides unique therapeutic benefits to the skin. LED delivers light to the skin similar to how plants absorb light from the sun. LED therapy is non-invasive, painless, requires no recovery time and is safe for all skin types.
OUR ACNE TARGETED LED LIGHT
we offer LED light treatments at our clinic in San Francisco both in combination with other therapies like extractions and chemical peels or as a stand alone appointment. our LED treatments consist of exposing the entire face to our acne targeting LED light panel for up to 20 minutes depending on the treatment type. the light is engineered to feel warm and soothing and clients often will fall asleep during the LED portion of their treatment.
our professional LED light uses the red and blue wavelengths in combination. together these work to encourage the production of adenosine triphosphate or ATP. the skin cells and surrounding structures then utilize this abundance of ATP to carry out skin repair functions that produce visible results.
red light stimulates connective tissue cells called fibroblasts to secrete collagen proteins that are used to maintain and repair the structural framework of the skin. this translates to more efficient wound healing, reduction of redness and lifting of old pigmentation left from topical damage. existing breakouts heal faster and the overall appearance of the skin is visibly improved, healthy-looking and glowing.
blue light targets and destroys Cutibacterium acnes or c. acnes bacteria. these bacteria proliferate inside acne lesions and their waste products contribute to the inflammation that results in a breakout-type pimple. blue light also reduces excessive sebum production inside the pore which helps to prevent the development of the seeds that lead to inflamed and non-inflamed acne.
results differ from person to person. some can be seen immediately after one treatment and others happen more slowly with several treatments over time.
- a noticeable reduction in healing time post treatment for both peels and extractions with less rebound inflammation after treatments
- when the light is applied to an area at the very beginning of the inflammation process it can completely reverse it preventing the breakout that was bound to occur without the help of the light. this may not work every time for everyone but it is something we have seen occur for many clients over the years.
results seen over time with several treatments spaced close together:
- reduced visible signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles
- improved tone and rejuvenation of the skin
- accelerated lifting of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation left from old acne breakouts or picking
- a more pronounced reduction of inflamed breakout frequency and severity
client’s can book any of our LED treatments through our online scheduling platform. feel free to reach out to your esthetician with any questions regarding this or any of our treatment offerings.