each month skinSALVATION gives to a cause personally close to a team member’s heart. this month we were able to help an organization that has been a huge part of my brother’s life. in 2009, my older brother (who i always thought was a super human) joined the peace corps and started his 27 month assignment in albania. he came back speaking a hybrid of albanian and english, hand-in-hand with his now fiance and bragging about being named “personazh i viti” (person of the year) by the mayor. a piece of his heart was left an ocean away and he wanted to find a way to stay involved. that was when they both found Friends of Albania, a non-profit organization that connects previous peace corps volunteers to current volunteers to support small, community-driven projects.
many of you have been awaiting our beloved aloe80 hand soap to return to the shop, and great news, it has arrived!
a few things to know:
- it’s the same amazing formula from lily of the desert with new and improved packaging! you may not recognize it because the package used to say “aloe80”, now it just says “liquid soap”.
- its aloe based so it won’t dry out your hands, (remember your hands and your neck tend to show signs of aging first!)
- acne safe ingredients, so you don’t have to worry about cloggy residue transferring to your face or body after to clean your hands!
- pick it up any day in the shop or our online store!
Emily long-time sS client turned front of house cutie showing off the new goods!
finding acne-safe products is a very painstaking and time consuming process. we carefully shop for products with acne-safe ingredient listings, and then test them in-house for at least 6 months on skins that are already clear, and on people who are religiously living the acne-safe lifestyle, so that we can isolate any new breakouts to that one variable – the product he/she is testing.
by kerry watson
after a long stressful day at work or at home with the kids, making evening “me time” can be a challenge but it’s well worth the effort! prioritizing healthy downtime each night counteracts the negative effects of a stressful busy life, which otherwise takes it’s toll over time. so instead of flopping on the couch and turning on the tv, give your nervous system a much needed break each night by incorporating some of our favorite evening and bedtime rituals
if you enjoy doing yoga but have had trouble finding the time to take a class, try down dog. it’s a totally awesome free yoga app that provides you with your own private yoga class anytime and anywhere. use it at home or in a hotel room or even in your office at work. to have some fun, set little challenges for yourself like 20 minutes of yoga for 20 days. your entire body will thank you!
if you haven’t given meditation a fair try, there’s no better time than the present! especially now that there are so many great free apps available that make it super easy and fun! checkout headspace or calm or my absolute favorite one – insighttimer. i have a fear of public speaking but have had to do it many times over the course of my professional life. meditating for 5-20 minutes before a speaking event has absolutely saved me every time. the guided meditations on insighttimer are wonderful. you can search for a specific topic and length and each meditation is rated by other users so you never end up with a dud. my favorite topics to search for include – manifestation, letting go, sleep and anxiety. it works every time! and kim likes insighttimer for a quick am mediation t wake up verses snooze!
instead of looking at your phone, computer or tablet in bed, reach for a good old fashioned paperback book 1-2 hours before turning in. looking at the light from electronic devices can raise cortisol, a stimulating hormone that tells the body that it’s time to wake up. not exactly, the best thing to do when it’s bedtime. right now, i’m reading all the poldark books by winston graham. if anyone wants them after i’m done just say the word! also, if you have trouble falling asleep, kim likes to listen to brainwave sleep tracks on youtube with the display turned off to keep the room dark. it helps her slip off to dreamland in no time!
whenever i’ve had a particularly trying day, i light a yummy candle, turn down the lights and fill up the tub for a much needed evening soak or acne-safe bubble bath. what better way to let go of the trials and tribulations of a tough day?
and of course, last but not least, don’t forget to cleanse, ice, tone and apply your moisturizer. sweet dreams!
as the hot weather approaches, we all want to radiate fresh, yet delicate, aromas, right? but how can we keep our bodies smelling as fresh as a bouquet of dew-dropped roses while avoiding acne breakouts? we’ve got a few recommendations for acne-safe deodorants for you to check out, and as a bonus, all are aluminum-free!
- tarte – tarte’s light-weight clean queen product is a natural vegan deodorant stick to satisfy your edgier side. adherents swear that it dries clear and that it lasts all day. it’s great as a first-time foray into the world of aluminum-free deodorants.
- aesop – though this gender-neutral spray deodorant is a bit pricey, it lasts a long time and truly performs! it’s a personal favorite of some sS staff, and with hints of vetiver and citrus, this woodsy scent is to die for. the specific blend of essential oils prevents the formation of odor-causing bacteria.
- crystal essence – these handy roll-on deodorants are easy to toss in your gym bag for a quick mid-day refresher. a popular chemical-free deodorant, crystal essence uses natural mineral salts and essential oils to stop odor in its tracks.
- lavilin – this floral roll-on deodorant is the winner of new york magazine’s best aluminum-free deodorant competition. while it won’t necessarily keep you totally dry, this hypo-allergenic product boasts 72-hour odor-masking abilities even with physical activity and bathing in between.
- desert essence – this is a solid, natural brand at a reasonable price. they’ve created several fun scents like tropical breeze and spring fresh, but you might need to reapply at some point during the workday
- erbaviva – this brand crafts simple and unique scents from alcohol and essential oils but proponents of the natural deodorant phenomenon agree that these fresh scents last only around 5-6 hours. blends like jasmine grapefruit and lemon sage can satisfy anyone’s olfactory preferences.
- weleda – these swiss spray deodorants have great reviews in the performance department. similar to aesop, the citrus in these sprays helps keep bacteria at bay. you can find them at any whole foods or natural foods store across the us.
as always, when buying new personal care products, use our comedogenic database to double check ingredients. though many of the above brands make acne-safe deodorants, their other products might not pass the test.