not quite beyonce's lemonade, but still delicious, vibrantly colorful and good for you :)
the turmeric makes this a bit savory + spicy, and anti-inflammatory, and it's action packed too. it's rich in manganese (good for bone + collagen production, blood sugar control and is an antioxidant), iron (live-giving oxygen to blood cells), vitamin b6 (helps produce serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain), fiber, copper (prevents premature aging, boosts energy, promotes quick wound healing) and potassium (relieves anxiety, stress, enhances muscle strength).
pretty easy to make! and not too messy if you're careful.
here we go!
tips + warnings:
- you may want to wear some disposable gloves, to keep your hands from being orange for days.
- turmeric can and will permanently dye fabric and even countertops, so proceed with caution!
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh turmeric root
- 1 cup water
- juice of 6 large organic lemons (about 12 ounces)
- fresh cold filtered water (sparking makes it special!)
- in a blender, whirl up the first three ingredients to make your turmeric infused simple syrup.
- once the turmeric has been blitzed to smithereens (a minute or two?), carefully pour it through a sieve to separate the turmeric pulp from the syrup. you should end up with about 12 ounces of syrup. you can also use cheesecloth, which would be easier to deal with since you can just toss it vs. having to wash the sieve.
- finally, combine the syrup with filtered or sparkling water. i personally like a ratio of 1 part syrup to 3 parts sparkling.