a chemical peel is a form of exfoliation with acids that target the keratinized or dead skin cells on the very outer layers of the skin. chemical peels help to increase the rate of turnover and sloughing off of these dead layers so that newer cells can reach the surface more quickly.
there are different acids used in chemical peels that target a variety of desired results but they all promote the exfoliation of dead cells on the surface (and inside the pores) of the skin.
OUR CHEMICAL PEELS
we work with a variety of chemical peels at skinSALVATION. your esthetician will help you figure out which of our peels is the best choice for your skin. below is a description of the different peels we offer in our clinic.
our 20% and 35% mandelic acid peels are oftentimes the only peels many of our clients ever need and this is because they do their job so incredibly well. we use these peels more than all the other peels combined at our clinic. the many benefits of our mandelic acid peels include:
- anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which translate to a reduction in inflammation and inflamed acne
- regulating sebum production while improving skin cell turnover preventing and clearing clogged pores
- lightening and brightening, lifting hyper-pigmentation and improving the overall tone of the skin
- promoting collagen production which decreases as we age – many clients notice a difference in their complexion and appearance after just one mandelic peel treatment. this also has an effect on the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, resulting in a more vibrant, youthful appearance.
- safe for all skin types – mandelic acid is the most gentle of all the acids used as chemical exfoliating agents. this makes it well tolerated by even the more sensitive skin types.
lightening of hyper-pigmentation is a major concern for many of our clients. we have great peel options that work beautifully for lifting pigmentation quickly. however, we counsel our clients to first do the work to get cleared up before worrying about the left over pigmentation. talk to your esthetician if you think you might be ready to try one of the peels below.
- our 10% TCA depigmentation peel is a mild but very effective peel that delivers lighteners down to the melanocyte (pigment producing skin cell) without traumatizing the skin. the TCA peel contains other buffering acids that target hyper-pigmentation and sun damage. this is a wonderful peel for evening skin tone, reducing acne, retexturing the skin and refining pore size.
- our 20% lactic lightening peel contains lactic acid, a milk-based ingredient that hydrates and exfoliates the skin in a gentle manner. this peel also includes two superb lighteners: arbutin and kojic acid that work with lactic to lighten and hydrate the skin.
- our progressive pro peel is our strongest facial chemical peel offering. check out our blog post on the pro peel to learn about this powerful peel.
- our smoothing body peel consists of a 2 step process. the pre-peel accelerator mask (step 1) provides nourishing ingredients that soften and hydrate the skin’s surface. the smoothing body peel (step 2) improves the appearance and texture of the skin with a combination of exfoliating, smoothing and brightening ingredients. this treatment is an excellent choice for promoting an even skin tone and clear complexion on the upper arms, shoulders and back.