this is our network of wonderful people who are great at what they do and can help you do what you do, better. sometimes, we need a little more help, and these people are the professionals we trust to take the best care of you.
- dr. misha cohen in the dogpatch neighborhood SF, is christine and kim’s acupuncturist. we have both seen her weekly for a year now and have had some amazing transformations. doc misha helped kim with hormone regulation (both on and off the mirena IUD), stress and even a digestive travel bug she picked up from nicaragua, all without conventional meds. her clinic also accepts many forms of insurance.
- kim also has personally received many successful food and seasonal allergy treatments from liat barnea acupuncture who is located in the old sS building, 3150 18th street (at treat street).
- dr. amy day, the FOURTH naturopathic doctor licensed in california (!) is the naturopath that kim is working with these days. she specializes in women’s adrenal and hormone issues, but can help anyone with any imbalance.
- angela ross of whole body balance is also an sS’er, and a certified nutrition consultant. she regularly holds sugar detox workshops, and has a plethora of acne-safe recipes on her site. she’s a great resource for those that want a little more help with learning how to cook from whole, healthy foods fit for an acne-safe lifestyle.
- linda behla, RN of hayes valley medical esthetics offers IPL light therapy, which we’ve found to help drastically reduce post-inflammatory redness; otherwise known as that pesky pigmentation scarring that is left behind once inflamed acne has been healed. in the past, we recommended clients be patient, as the redness naturally dissipates within 6-12 months after clarity is reached, though this IPL therapy certainly helps speed things up – within weeks. as a special, exclusive offer to our sS clients, you will receive 15% off your first appointment, and 10% off each followup by mentioning sS. (depending on your skin and goals, you will likely need more than 1 treatment, which are about $300 each).
- dr. albert eng along with the rest of the staff at soma sport & physio have literally, kept kim’s body together through excellent chiropractic and physical therapy work.
- kate borden and jennifer weed are great massage therapists, both who offer some of the best deep tissue body work around. jenn specializes in deep upper body/shoulder work. kate has an integrative approach combining several methods to heal, and draws upon her pilates and yoga teaching expertise to further understand the body’s mechanics.
- one of sS’s primary inspirational forces, errol feria and kim have been friends for over 10 years. he is the author of the all inclusive guide to yoga massage, and is currently practicing somatic therapy and structural bodywork in the castro.
- zeel is a great massage-on-demand app that we’ve recently discovered, and have used a bunch of times (even once for our quarterly team building event!). download the app, decide what kind and how long of a massage you’d like, and the thoroughly vetted professional (often times with 10+ years experience) comes to your home (or office, or hotel room, etc) equipped with a table (and sheets, if you ask) ready to give you a rub! just make sure to have a bottle of acne-safe safflower or sunflower oil ready for them to use on you. use promotion code ‘skinSALVATION’ and get $25 off your first massage!
- brittany buxton-ramus, kim’s beauty school classmate, good friend and stylist is extremely creative with color, and regularly showcases beautiful works of art in her vintage-inspired shop. she also uses AG hair cosmetics’ fast food shampoo and conditioner lite, which are both acne-safe!
- cat halloran is also a good friend of sS’s, and has a loyal following at her new salon in union square, called smoke & mirrors. since she’s also a client of sS, she knows what is and isn’t safe for acneic skin, and can help tailor your haircare products to be acne-safe. the salon is located on sutter street and grant avenue.
- kristin southwick is a licensed marriage & family therapist who specializes in trichotillomania, or body focused repetitive behaviors; namely, hair pulling or skin picking. she is based out of bart accessible castro valley & burlingame, ca.
- jane peal is another MFT that one of our sS’ers has had success working with to help alleviate anxiety associated with skin picking as well.
- jonathon gray, MFT has been practicing for over 30 years, and can employ hypnosis to help alleviate anxiety associated with habits and phobias, and has great success with smoking cessation clients.
- skin deep is a book that has been recommended to us by naturopath laura figoski, which helps the reader understand the psychology-skin connection, how to dig deep into the psyche and tools on how to alleviate symptoms
- maiya holliday of mangrove web development is the genius that put together this site. her expertise, ongoing support, the clean fresh look and ease of use (from a small business owner’s admin perspective) are a dream come true.
food – groceries
- in san francisco, birite, rainbow grocery co-op, and the haight street market are favorite places of ours to get very high quality, locally grown groceries – trader joe’s and whole foods are good, easy to find options as well.
- and let’s not forget the city’s amazing farmer’s markets! there’s one that happens everyday, in different neighborhoods – here’s a list. the mission community market happens just a block away from sS at 22nd & mission, on thursdays, year-round, from 4-8pm.
- in the east bay, there’s a lot of farmer’s market action too – here’s a list. the biggest and best one happens on saturdays, at grand lake farmer’s market. berkeley bowl is also a great place to shop, their produce sections are AMAZING!
food – restaurants
- gracias madre, just a few blocks from sS on mission & 18th is local, organic, completely vegan and acne-safe! all of their dairy (cheese, milk, ice cream) is made from nuts, they only use non-gmo corn and have absolutely no soy on the menu.
- bar agricole and trou normand are favorite SF restaurants of ours as they not only produce the most delicious and artfully-crafted cocktails, and seasonal, sustainable food – we have very similar philosophies. we won’t sell out to the conventional, mass-market way of doing things, and pride ourselves on carefully sourcing and executing the best finished product possible; a true rarity in our respective industries.
- camino is another great restaurant in oakland that also holds to very high – and delectable – standards.
- mission heirloom is the only paleo and aip focused restaurant that i know of. whenever i make it over to the east bay, i try to stop by this berkeley gem. everything they have is acne-safe, and with a few tweaks, can be candida-safe too! (their goods are also available on good eggs, food delivery).
art & music & furniture & design
- jared rusten of j. rusten furniture is responsible for the beautiful california table we have in our reception area, as well as kim’s office desk. the sS table is made of reclaimed douglas fir wood, carefully fashioned out of salvaged doors from a tenderloin-area hotel renovation – the holes in our table are the original peepholes prevalent in doors of the 1930’s and 40’s.
- craigslist and the alameda antique fair are the 2 places that we have been able to successfully source our beautiful, second-hand furniture that we have at sS. it can take some patience, but finding the right piece can be really rewarding!
- kabuki springs & spa has great communal bathing facilities – co-ed day is tuesdays. men only and women only days fill up the rest of the week. be sure to bring your own acne-safe body/skincare products, as theirs are cloggy!
- imperial day spa is built out so that men’s and women’s facilities are completely separate, so you can go anyday you like, and they are open til 10pm. be sure to bring your own acne-safe body/skincare products, as theirs are cloggy!
- archimedes banya is probably the largest bath house in the city – they offer both clothed and clothing-optional areas. be sure to bring your own acne-safe body/skincare products, as theirs are cloggy!